My current research is at the intersection of emotion and applied science.
I am interested in devices that excite people and in building technologies that make lives better through sensors and algorithms. I make stuff.
The goal of this project was to learn about robotic development by building my own multirotor. One of the main goals of the project was autonomous flight, from takeoff to landing.
For firmware, I chose to use ArduCopter as it already supported all of these features. For a list of hardware, see here.
5.8ghz video transmitter
Barometric altitude sensor
Downward facing ultrasound
915mhz telemetry radio
Overall, the build achieved an excellent mix of results with acrobatic abilities, autonomous flight, stability in high winds, and portability.
3D App Prototype
The goal of this project was to experiment with designing apps in real 3d space, to better understand how meaningful animations could be designed. Everything was done in blender. Overall, it’s pretty cool to actually be able to animate panes floating around in 3d. Although, a lot of work for something that can’t directly translate to a working prototype.
I propose a shift in how people acquire information.
My research is exploring a new way to use technology to be more informed. The state of innovation currently is to provide more information, but less interaction to get it. To state briefly; the device I aim to create is a “smart mirror”. It is a wall mounted mirror which displays relevant items to the user such as weather, scheduling, messages, and other fields of interest. The mirror will solve a problem that many people experience each day and night; getting information without distraction. Before bed, the user may want to know whether it will snow the next morning so they can plan their commute. When using a computer or mobile device, the user will often become distracted in other media. In the future, the user will glance at their wall to find that information instantly. It is the first device of its type to orient itself as a companion to the user rather than another device to operate. It also features spectacular voice control. When speaking to the device, it doesn’t feel like dictating to a machine, it feels like talking to a person.
The combination of these features is limitless.
Human Computer Interaction
The goal of this project was to build a on offroad capable station wagon. I wanted some Jeep like capabilities, but with a large cargo area and car-like handling.
I started with a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback. The first modification was a 2” lift to increase ground clearance. Then, the engine was removed for the fitment of new timing components and a new clutch. At this point many repairs were made.
Next I coated the entire vehicle in ~15 layers of Plasti Dip. A durable coating typically used on tool handles. After that, I fitted larger snow tires on low offset Method Rally wheels.
For a cross country trip, the rear seats were removed and it was converted into a two seather with a pickup style bed in the back.
Ping Ultrasonic Echosounder
Ping is designed to be the ultimate compact echosounder for any aquatic project. It can be used for altitude sensing, as well as obstacle avoidance.
The small package makes it ideal for mounting on small robots and other platforms. All processing is done on a processor inside the unit, making it easy to integrate into anything. It is capable of detecting depths up to 150 feet, with a refresh rate of 10hz to 25hz depending on the distance it is measuring.
It will be for sale by Summer of 2017.
50CC Cafe Racer
The goal of this project was to build a tiny, fast 50cc motorcycle. It’s based on a 1991 Tomos Golden Bullet. Modifications: weight reduction, indicator delete, oil injection delete, LED lights, handmade seat, porting / polishing, 19mm dellorto carburetor, cut fenders, cold air intake, and an Estoril expansion chamber exhaust.
It’s capable of a touch over 50mph. Slightly less in hot weather.
The goal of this project was to learn about modeling organic shapes though designing my own car.
I designed it by taking cues from several of my favorite cars. I then took on the challenge of producing convincing renders using VRay. The vehicle was modeled in 3DS Max.